Thursday, March 4

Ring that wedding bell!

 
Few days ago I received a call from A’s cousin, T, who was complaining about some girl his parents have seen for him and how he wants the matter to be put on hold. Following this I had a long discussion with his mother aka my aunt-in-law, but determined as she was, she paid no heed to my defences, all my convincing powers failed and the ‘ladka dikhane ka program’ went ahead as planned.

The girl’s family visited their place and as I hear, looked visibly impressed. After all, who wouldn’t like his daughter to be married to a guy who has a good job, good social standing and a good family background?! They invited our family over to their place to proceed, now with ‘ladki dikhana’.

So now we’re here. Our family’s waiting for an auspicious occasion to go see her. From what I saw in her bio-data, the girl’s good-looking, well-educated and belongs to a good family. ‘Reports’ about the girl have also been favourable. My aunt-in-law has decided that she’ll complete all the minor formalities to ‘book’ the girl before any wrong-doer turns up and messes the whole thing.( You've got to be kidding!!)

T is shaking in his shoes since he feels its all happening a bit too soon. He called me up again to share his nervousness and his inability to compel his parents to take it slow. Here’s how our conversation went:

T :
Bhabhi, Mom and Dad have already decided on what all they’ll give the girl once everything falls in place!
Me:
Why don’t you tell them you want more time to think?
T:
I tried, but you know them na..they are saying there’s a right time for everything and there’s no point in waiting now.
Me:
Do you not like the girl? Tell them so..
T:
No no..there’s nothing wrong with the girl. I’ve heard only good things about her from everywhere.
Me:
Then what’s the problem?
T:
If I get married I’ll loose my freedom. I won’t be able to come home and leave at my own will.
Me:
This will happen even if you marry after 5 yrs. You have certain responsibilities after marriage. What’s wrong in that?
T: 
May be you’re right. But what about my freedom?

And the same thing continued for another hour.....grrrrr……Gimme a break!
Now, if you ask me I’m kind of confused as to what T exactly wants. If he wants to marry, why not just accept it and marry! Or may be he enjoys us trying to persuade him to do it. May be he enjoys the attention.  Honestly, it gets a boring after I’ve repeated the same things to him over and over again.

But as they say, marriage comes with a baggage, so आलिया भोगासी असावे सादर !!
Related Posts with Thumbnails